EAU CLAIRE, Wis. – The University of Wisconsin-Platteville women's basketball team (8-6, 0-3 WIAC) fell 73-58 at UW-Eau Claire (7-6, 2-1 WIAC) Saturday afternoon in Zorn Arena. After an exciting first half, the Pioneers led by a narrow margin of four, but a 17-3 streak early in the third quarter allowed the Blugolds to pull away in the second half for the win.
- The Pioneers were slow out of the start gates with UW-Eau Claire taking a 14-4 lead with 3:54 remaining in the first quarter, but the Pioneers went on to pull within four before the end of the period.
- By less than two minutes into the third quarter, the Pioneers had taken the lead and held it for the remainder of the half.
- UW-Platteville's second quarter surge included shooting 5-of-8 from three-point territory with senior Morgan Horstman shooting 75.0% (3-of-4) from the field including 2-of-2 from three-point range.
- The Pioneers led 33-29 over the Blugolds at halftime.
- Overall, UW-Platteville shot 44.8% (13-of-29) from the field while UW-Eau Claire finished the half shooting 42.3% (11-of-26).
- The Pioneers started the second half extending their lead to 40-32, but a 17-3 Blugold run closed out the quarter and UW-Eau Claire led 49-43 with one quarter remaining.
- The Pioneers never got within more than eight in the fourth quarter.
- UW-Eau Claire shot 83.3% (5-of-6) from three-point territory in the half.
- Overall, UW-Platteville shot 40.0% (10-of-25) from the field while the Blugolds shot 53.6% (15-of-28) from the field.
- UW-Platteville is 8-6 overall and 0-3 in the WIAC.
- UW-Eau Claire improved to 7-6 overall and 2-1 in conference play.
- The Pioneers dropped in eight three-point baskets, the most for the Pioneers in 32 games.
- Horstman led the Pioneers with 13 points and four assists while also tallying three rebounds and one block.
- Junior Maiah Domask led the Pioneers with six boards and added eight points, two assists, and one steel.
- Sophomore Kaite Asche contributed nine points in the Pioneer's first career start.
- The Blugolds' bench tacked on 37 points while the UW-Platteville's reserves added 19 points.
- The Pioneers' largest lead of nine fell in the second quarter while UW-Eau Claire reached a 19-point lead in the fourth quarter.
- Overall, UW-Platteville shot 42.6% (23-of-54) from the field and 38.1% (8-of-21) from three-point territory. UW-Eau Claire shot 48.1% (26-of-54) from the field and 46.7% (7-of-15) from behind the three-point arc.
- The Pioneers finished 66.7% (4-of-6) from the free throw line while the Blugolds shot an striking 93.3% (14-of-15).
The Pioneers hit the road again on Wednesday, Jan. 15 for UW-Stevens Point with tip off scheduled for 7 p.m.