PLATTEVILLE, Wis. – The University of Wisconsin-Platteville women's basketball team (8-5, 0-2 WIAC) dropped its first home WIAC contest of the season 63-45 to the Titans of UW-Oshkosh (8-5, 1-1 WIAC). After a hard fought first half, the Pioneers led 30-27, but a low scoring third quarter proved too much to overcome Wednesday night on Bo Ryan Court.
- The Pioneers played a strong first half and after one quarter of play, the teams were tied 14-14 with the Pioneers shooting a game high 46.7% (7-of-15) from the field while the Titans shot 40.0% (6-of-15) from the field.
- The second quarter saw five lead changes with the Pioneers securing the 30-27 lead as the teams went to the locker rooms.
- The Pioneers held the WIAC's leading scorer Leah Porath to just four points in the first half.
- Overall, the Pioneers shot 45.2% (14-of-31) from the field while UW-Oshkosh finished the half shooting 38.5% (10-of-26).
- The Titans dished out the first 13 points of the second half to take a 40-30 lead.
- Sophomore Allison Heckert made her second of two free throws with 3:32 remaining in the third quarter. The Pioneers would score once more in the period with senior Morgan Horstman dropping in her second of two free throws.
- UW-Platteville looked to overcome the 47-32 Titan advantage at the start of the fourth quarter, but UW-Oshkosh's momentum from the previous period carried over as the Titans added 16 points to the Pioneers' 13 points.
- Overall, UW-Platteville shot 20.8% (5-of-24) from the field while the Titans shot 57.7% (15-of-26) from the field.
- UW-Platteville is 8-5 overall and 0-2 in the WIAC.
- The Titans improved to 8-5 overall and 1-1 in conference play.
- The Pioneers held the WIAC's leading scorer, Porath, to just 11 points on the night after she entered the game averaging 19.7 points per game.
- Heckert finished with a team high 10 points, pulled down four boards, and tallied two assists.
- Horstman followed closely behind with nine points, four rebounds, one assist, and two steals.
- Senior Rachel Emendorfer banked up team highs with four assists and three steals.
- UW-Platteville shot 34.5% (19-of-55) from the field and 14.3% (2-of-14) from three-point territory. UW-Oshkosh shot 48.1% (25-of-52) from the field and 26.3% (5-of-19) from behind the three-point arc.
- The Pioneers finished 55.6% (5-of-9) from the free throw line while the Titans shot 80.0% (8-of-10).
Remarks from Coach McNiff
After the game head coach Kelly McNiff said, "We are making strides. I thought we played fantastic in the first half. Our players executed the game plan and a lot of good things happened."
McNiff went on to say, "We came out of the halftime break a little lax and Oshkosh made us pay for it. We have to be better at challenging each other in the day-to-day work: drills, springs, executing plays, etc. It's a process and we will keep working at it."
The Pioneers hit the road this weekend for UW-Eau Claire on Saturday, Jan. 11 with tip off set for 5 p.m. in the Zorn Arena.