OSHKOSH, Wis. – The University of Wisconsin-Platteville men's basketball team (13-1, 2-0 WIAC) ranked No. 9 on the D3hoops.com poll, defeated UW-Eau Claire (10-4, 1-2 WIAC) 60-53 on Saturday to improve to 3-0 in conference play.
- The Blugolds jumped out to an early 6-0 lead and the Pioneers responded with an 8-0 run of their own.
- The Pioneers went into halftime leading the Blugolds 28-27.
- Senior Carter Voelker had seven points, four rebounds, two assists and one steal while shooting 60% (3-of-5) from the floor in the half.
- Junior Quentin Shields also had seven points and chipped in three rebounds and a steal. Shields shot 50% (3-of-6) from the field.
- The Pioneers shot 45.8% (11-of-24) from the field and 27.3% (3-of-11) from three-point range and the Blugolds shot 40% (10-of-25) from the field and 42.9% (3-of-7) on three-point attempts.
- The Pioneers shot 75% (3-of-4) from the free throw line and UW-Eau Claire shot 66.7% (4-of-6).
- The Pioneers led 32-30 with 17:21 remaining before going on a 12-2 run over the next seven minutes to take a 44-32 lead.
- Voelker had eight points, four rebounds and an assist in the second half.
- Sophomore Blake McCann scored five points in six minutes in the second half.
- The Pioneers shot 38.7% (12-of-31) from the field and 37.5% (3-of-8) from three-point range while UW-Eau Claire shot 37% (10-of-27) from the field and 11.1% (1-of-9) on three-pointers.
- The Pioneers shot 71.4% (5-of-7) from the free throw line while UW-Eau Claire shot 100% (5-of-5).
- UW-Platteville improved to 13-1 overall, 3-0 WIAC.
- UW-Eau Claire fell to to 10-4 overall, 1-2 WIAC.
- Voelker finished with 15 points, eight rebounds, three assists and a steal. He shot 50% (7-of-14) from the field.
- Shields scored 12 points and added seven rebounds, one assist and two steals.
- UW-Platteville shot 41.8% (23-of-55) from the field and 31.6% (6-of-19) from beyond the three-point arc. UW-Eau Claire shot 38.5% (20-of-52) from the field and (4-of-16) from three-point territory.
- The Pioneers shot 72.7% (8-of-11) from the free throw line while the Blugolds shot 81.8% (9-of-11).
The Pioneers host Community Night against UW-Stevens on Wednesday Jan. 15 at 7:00 pm.