OSHKOSH, Wis. – The University of Wisconsin-Platteville men's basketball team (12-1, 2-0 WIAC) ranked No. 9 on the D3hoops.com poll, defeated UW-Oshkosh (7-6, 1-1 WIAC) Wednesday night to improve to 2-0 in conference play.
- The Pioneers trailed most of the first half and trailed 27-43 before finishing the half on a 6-0 run.
- The Pioneers went into halftime trailing the Titans 33-43.
- Junior Quentin Shields led the Pioneers with eight points while knocking down both of his three-point attempts in the first half.
- Sophomore Blake McCann scored seven of his nine points in the first half.
- The Pioneers shot 35.5% (11-of-31) from the field and 44.4% (4-of-9) from three-point range and the Titans shot 45.5% (15-of-33) from the field and 29.4% (5-of-17) on three-point attempts.
- The Pioneers shot 87.5% (6-of-7) from the free throw line and UW-Oshkosh shot 100% (8-of-8).
- The Pioneers added to their 6-0 run to finish the first half by going on a 16-2 run to open the second half and take a 49-45 lead with 13:19 remaining.
- The Pioneers only trailed for 17 seconds in the second half.
- Senior Carter Voelker had 17 points, five rebounds, two steals and an assist in the second half.
- Drew Gunnink scored 16 points and shot 85.7% (6-of-7) from the field and went 3-of-3 on three-point attempts in the second half.
- The Pioneers shot 51.6% (16-of-31) from the field and 50% (5-of-10) from three-point range while UW-Oshkosh shot 27.3% (9-of-33) from the field and 14.3% (2-of-14) on three-pointers.
- The Pioneers shot 66.7% (4-of-6) from the free throw line while UW-Oshkosh shot 77.8% (7-of-9).
- UW-Platteville improved to 12-1 overall, 2-0 WIAC.
- UW-Oshkosh fell to to 7-6 overall, 1-1 WIAC.
- Voelker finished with 21 points, seven rebounds and five assists.
- Gunnink had 18 points while shooting 77.8% (7-of-9) from the field and added three rebounds.
- Junior Justin Fox led the Pioneers with eight rebounds.
- UW-Platteville shot 43.5% (27-of-62) from the field and 47.4% (9-of-19) from beyond the three-point arc. UW-Oshkosh shot 40.3% (25-of-62) from the field and 42.1% (8-of-19) from three-point territory.
- The Pioneers shot 78.6% (11-of-14) from the free throw line while the Titans shot 88.2% (15-of-17).
The Pioneers host UW-Eau Claire on Saturday Jan. 11 at 7:00 pm.