PLATTEVILLE, Wis. – The University of Wisconsin-Platteville men's basketball team (7-0) ranked No. 11 on the D3hoops.com poll, defeated Hope (4-2) on Bo Ryan Court on Friday night. The Pioneers played in front of a crowd of 455 on Staff Appreciation Night.
- UW-Platteville got down 2-7 just over two minutes into the game. They responded with an 11-0 run over the next 2:14 to take a 13-7 lead.
- The Pioneers went into halftime leading the Flying Dutchmen 43-33.
- Senior Carter Voelker led all first half scorers with 12 points on just six shots. Voelker shot 5-of-6 from the field and 2-of-3 on three-point shots.
- Junior Quentin Shields had nine points on 3-of-5 shooting including two three-pointers. Shields added four rebounds and three steals in the first half
- The Pioneers shot 59.3% (16-of-27) from the field and 40% (4-of-10) from three-point range and held the Flying Dutchmen to 50% (12-of-24) from the field and 33.3% (4-of-12) on three-point attempts.
- The Pioneers knocked down all seven of their free throw attempts while Hope went 5-of-7.
- The Pioneers led by as many as 21 and held a comfortable throughout the second half.
- Shields had 14 points in the second half shooting 6-of-8 on field goals and 2-of-3 on three-pointers.
- The Pioneers shot 48.5% (16-of-33) from the field and 31.3% (5-of-16) from three-point range while Hope outshot the Pioneers from the field at 50% (14-of-28) but struggled from three-point range at 12.5% (1-of-8) from behind the three-point arc.
- The Pioneers were 2-of-3 from the free throw line while the Flying Dutchmen were 6-of-7.
- UW-Platteville improved to 7-0 on the season.
- Hope fell to 4-2 overall.
- Shields finished with 23 points, five rebounds, two assists and three steals. He shot 69.2% from the field and 60% (3-of-5) on three-point attempts.
- Voelker finished with 17 points on 63.6% (7-of-11) from the field and 3-of-6 on three-pointers.
- Sophomore Kyle Tuma scored 11 points and had a game-high six rebounds.
- UW-Platteville finished 53.3% (32-of-60) from the field and 34.6% (9-of-26) from beyond the three-point arc. Hope finished 50% (26-of-52) and 25% (5-of-20) from three-point territory.
- The Pioneers were 90% (9-of-10) from the free throw line while the Flying Dutchmen shot 78.6% (11-of-14).
Remarks from Coach Gard
"Coming into the game tonight we were searching for more consistency on the defensive end. Other than a couple stretches within the second half we did a good job of limiting their offensive runs."
The Pioneers face another Michigan team on Bo Ryan Court on Sunday, Dec. 8 at 2:00 pm against Olivet.